Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Arretjescake

The problem with having too many emails (four of them) and being on too many mailing lists (fewer now) is that when I get a personal email it tends to get lost until I finally get around to cleaning out my inboxes.  This recipe is a prime example of that.  I recently found this traditional Dutch recipe sent to me by a distant relative of Johannes.  So I want to formally thank you Ria, for the recipe and also to apologize for taking so long to do so. 

Ria was sweet enough to send me her Oma's recipe for Arretjescake.  I haven't had a chance to make it yet since my teenagers keep eating the animal crackers on me.  Hopefully, I can manage to keep the ravenous beast at bay long enough to make this soon.  It looks yummy!

Or in Ria's words: Lekker .... mmm .... herlich .... awesome!



Ingredients:

8.5 ounces cookies (I learned on the interweb that Animal Crackers work best)
9 ounces butter
9 ounces castor sugar (ground sugar, not confectioners sugar, would work well, just not ground too finely)
1 1/4 ounce cacao (or cocoa)
2-3 tablespoons milk
1 egg



Directions:

  1. Melt the butter in the saucepan. 
  2. Crush cookies into small pieces in a bowl. 
  3. Mix sugar, milk, cacao and egg in another bowl and mix together.
  4. Cover cake tin with foil.
  5. Melt butter and mix gently into batter.
  6. Add crushed cookies.
  7. Pour mixture into the cake.
  8. Refrigerate 24 hours. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to read your comments and openly welcome them but I had to set comments to moderation to prevent the verbal abuse by family members of an abusive ex, carrying on their family tradition.